For where your treasure is, there shall your heart be also. ~ Matthew 6:21

Monday, March 10, 2014

Bead Journal Project

The Bead Journal Project is hosted by Robin Adkins and I was lucky enough to be accepted into the group right before membership was closed for this year.  To be an active member of the group, you must commit to making and posting one piece and its accompanying journal entry on the BJP Facebook page each month for a year. The goal is to make a collection of pieces that are cohesive in someway (technique, color, size etc.) with each piece becoming a "visual journal" of sorts.  Because I became a member of the group towards the end of January, my first journal entry was for February.  The common element for my submittals to BJP this year will be my exploration of metals and wirework in combination with beading . . . techniques that are new and challenging for me. My pieces will all have titles that reflect their emotional impact and inspiration. This piece is aptly named "passion."




passion

I started beading about three years ago while trying to recover from a traumatic brain injury and the resulting open heart surgeries. The post-op medical therapy was mostly ineffective but it was beading that seemed to help my brain and my heart reconnect the most. Because of beading, I have been able to resume my career as a concert pianist and instructor of music . . . something I had spent my life pursuing but had lost as a result of the brain injury.  I think all of us are reaping tremendous benefits through our art that go far beyond what we can comprehend. I know that I owe so much to this new-found passion and will be forever grateful for it.

Thanks in advance to all the amazing artists of the BJP group for your inspiration and support.  I look forward to seeing all your projects in the months ahead and sharing my journey with you! 

1 comment:

  1. Chris I too share a passion for beading. Your story is amazing as are your jewelry pieces.Thanx for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete